The Anderson House
The Anderson House is significant for its association with John Gary Anderson, a key figure in the development of Rock Hill and the co-founder and president of the Anderson Motor Company, one of the few automobile manufacturing companies in the South during the early days of the automotive industry. Anderson was also significant in the field of agriculture for his creation of the Rock Hill Plan for reducing cotton acreage. In addition, the Anderson House is significant for its elaborate Queen Anne design. According to tradition, A. D. Holler, the foremost builder in Rock Hill at the time, built the house in 1898, according to a design published by George F. Barber, a nationally recognized architect from Tennessee who propagated his work in numerous architectural pattern books. It is a two-and-one-half-story frame building with a three-story turret on the north corner of the façade. A one-story porch wraps around the turret and spans the façade, with an attached gazebo at the south (left) end. The roof is of slate, with metal crestings. Two brick chimneys with corbelled caps rise above the roof. Listed in the National Register May 13, 1982.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterYork County's Historic Register LandmarksAndersonHouse