(C.E. Murray House) The McCollum-Murray House, constructed ca. 1906, is significant as the long-time residence of and most intact historic resource associated with the productive and professional life of Dr. Charles Edward Murray, one of Williamsburg County’s and South Carolina’s most significant educators of the mid-twentieth century. Murray was quite possibly the first African American in South Carolina to be honored by having a school named for him, and was also the first active school principal in South Carolina to have a school named for him. In addition the house is significant for its importance to the African American community in Williamsburg County and as an excellent and intact local example of transitional folk Victorian and Classical Revival residential architecture. The McCollum-Murray House, a substantial home in a small South Carolina town built at the turn of the twentieth century for a successful African American couple, Edward J. and Margaret McCollum, by an African American builder, George Whack, is a rarity for its time and place. The house was originally constructed as a two-story, T-shaped or gable front and wing dwelling with a single-story porch on the front. Early in the history of the house a single-story rear gabled addition was constructed, followed by another single-story shed-roofed addition to the east of that in the 1950s. The metal roof is cross-gabled in form with full cornice returns or pediments in all the gable ends. The front porch wraps around to the east, has a shed roof, and is supported by square paneled pillars. Listed in the National Register July 11, 2006.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterWilliamsburg County's Historic Register LandmarksMcCollumMurrayHouse