The Culp House, a classically styled two-story brick structure, was constructed for Mr. B. D. Culp, a prosperous businessman in early Union. Derived from the transitional architectural trends of the 1850s, the Culp House combines both Georgian and Neo-Classical motifs. The South Carolina low country flavor of the structure with its wide porticos and airy window treatments reflects Culp’s familiarity with the domestic architecture of Charleston, where he conducted a successful cotton trade. The front façade features a two-tiered, five-bay porch with Doric columns, pilasters, and a pierced balustrade. An original detached kitchen is still standing, although in poor condition. The house is significant militarily and politically for two speeches delivered from its porches. B.F. Arthur, secretary of the Secession Convention, delivered an oration from the porch to the Johnson Rifles regiment on January 31, 1861. In October 1876, gubernatorial candidate Wade Hampton delivered a campaign address from the second story porch to a crowd of supporters and a mounted troop of his partisan “Red Shirt” followers. Listed in the National Register April 9, 1975.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterUnion County's Historic Register LandmarksCulpHouse