Pacolet Mill Office
The Pacolet Mill Office is a one-story with full-height basement level brick building constructed in 1908 as the office for the Pacolet Manufacturing Company. The building was designed by Lockwood, Greene & Company perhaps as early as 1905. The building is constructed of brick laid in a seven-to-one American bond, but with the variation that the bonding course consists of alternating stretchers and headers. A stone watertable surrounds the building and acts as a beltcourse separating the floors visually on the two-story section of the building. The roof, clad with clay Spanish tile, is a low-pitched hip roof with flared eaves and decorative exposed rafter tails. Two flared and hip roofed dormer vents pierce and punctuate the building’s roofline on both the east and west elevations. One of the more interesting architectural elements on the building’s site is a curving cast stone or concrete pergola that stretches from the main level entrance on the left (west) elevation along a walkway. It is believed the pergola was added some time between 1920 and 1927. It is most likely the work of noted landscape architect Earle S. Draper of Charlotte, who is known to have designed Victor Park and a mill village expansion in Pacolet about 1929. Construction of the first of the eventual four mills on the Pacolet River began in 1882. Amos D. Lockwood designed the mill and the firm of Lockwood Greene would play an important role in the success of the Pacolet Manufacturing Company. By 1896, Pacolet Mills were listed fifth among the largest textile mills in South Carolina, and among the top ten largest textile mills in the Southeast. Listed in the National Register July 28, 2004.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSpartanburg County's Historic Register LandmarksPacoletMillOffice