This two-story brick house was constructed ca. 1800 by Jesse Crook, a Spartanburg County planter. Elements of 18th century architecture are evident in the style of the house and as such they are significant for their early appearance in Upcountry South Carolina plantation residence design. The house shows influence of Virginia architecture, particularly the Flemish bond brickwork, the chamfered brickwork of the chimneys, the Georgian symmetry in the three-bay façade, the segmental arches over windows and doorways, the wide windows of the front and rear facades, and the joined chimneys of the eastern façade. The Virginia architectural influence can be traced to the fact that James Crook, father of the builder, was born in Mecklenburg County, Virginia in 1746 and moved to the Spartanburg District just prior to the Revolution. Wooden additions were added in the nineteenth century, but have since been removed or deteriorated. The interior includes large fireplaces and an original hand-carved mantel. The full basement, which was used as domestic slave quarters, has an earthen floor and large fireplace. Listed in the National Register March 20, 1973.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSpartanburg County's Historic Register LandmarksNichollsCrookHouse