(Morgan-Stewart House) McMakin’s Tavern, constructed over a three-year period ca. 1790, was a stagecoach stop throughout the early nineteenth century, as well as the center of a large plantation. An upcountry farmhouse, it is basically a two-storied clapboard single house with gable end chimneys. Although the exterior is rather simple, the interior displays elaborately carved woodwork in the Adam style. The paneled doors have raised shields and intricately carved entablatures; a portion of the stylized decoration is repeated in the paneled wainscoting and in the elaborate mantels and over-mantels. The mantel and cornice molding in the south parlor employ a shell motif, while that in the north room has a fan motif. The house was constructed by artisans who trained slaves to carve the wood, which had been soaked to make it extremely hard and durable. The one-story veranda that extends beyond the ends of the house and is supported by square columns above a solid railing was added ca. 1910. The plantation originally contained over 2000 acres of fertile farmland. There was once a complement of outbuildings around the house that included a forge, store, gristmill, cobbler’s ship, weaving house, and wheelwright’s shop. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSpartanburg County's Historic Register LandmarksMcMakin'sTavern