The Evins-Bivings House is a well-cared-for example of South Carolina’s antebellum Greek Revival architecture. It is particularly notable for the quality of its carpentry craftsmanship. It is associated with a family that has supplied Spartanburg with industrial, religious, political and civic leaders prominent in the development of the area. The house was built ca. 1854 by successful textile pioneer, Dr. James Bivings, chiefly responsible for building and promoting manufacturing in the Spartanburg district. He founded Glendale Mills, the first large textile plant in the area. Subsequent family occupants have been a Bivings nephew, Col. John Hamilton Evins, elected U.S. Congressman in the 1876 “Red Shirt Election” and serving until his death in 1884, and Choice Evins, president of Clifton and Glendale Manufacturing Co. The two-story, white clapboard house features a four-square interior plan, massive Doric columns and notable balustrades on double piazzas. The nominated property also contains the original kitchen, slave quarters, smoke house, and well. Listed in the National Register July 16, 1970.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSpartanburg County's Historic Register LandmarksEvinsBivingsHouse