The Bonham House (Flat Grove), ca. 1780, can be classified in a style of American folk architecture known as the “dogtrot,” a design that evolved from two equal units separated by a broad, open, central hall, that was usually later enclosed. The Bonham House is somewhat unusual in that it is two-storied, the second level originally accessible by a small stairway in the right front room. It is constructed of logs on fieldstone pillars; roof and floor joists are small bark covered logs. The house, also known as Flat Grove, was owned by Sophie Smith Bonham whose husband, James Bonham of Maryland, fought in the Revolution. It is believed they lived in the house when a son, James Butler Bonham, was born. He died at the Alamo. A younger son, Milledge L. Bonham was the next owner. He served in the South Carolina State Legislature, the United States House of Representatives, and was a general in the Civil War. During the war he was elected governor of South Carolina and served until 1864. Listed in the National Register December 30, 1974.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsSaluda County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBonhamHouse