303 Saluda Avenue
(John C. Heslep House) The house at 303 Saluda Avenue is a significant example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, a style that flourished in the southern United States from 1915 to 1935. The house was built ca. 1917 as a two-story brick residence. John C. Heslep, the contractor who built the old Richland County Courthouse and the Columbia Township Auditorium, drastically remodeled and rebuilt the house for himself in 1927-1928. Heslep gutted the building and, with the assistance of Columbia stoneworker George Marquardt, rebuilt it in the Spanish Colonial style. The house has the low-pitched tile roof, the coarse stucco walls, the cast iron balconies, the wooden lookout rafters in the eaves, the asymmetrical composition, and the elaborate entrances associated with the Spanish Colonial Revival. The stonework by Marquardt, especially the entrance, the two carved mantelpieces, and the dining room arcade, is of exceptional quality. A one-story guesthouse is the only outbuilding. Listed in the National Register May 24, 1982.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsRichland County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina National Historic Register303SaludaAvenue