(Job Johnstone House) Coateswood, originally the home of Chancellor Job Johnstone, was built in 1841 by Phillip Schoppert. Schoppert and his father, George, master builders with trained craftsmen working for them, built many of the houses in Newberry. Johnstone was a prominent leader in political, social, and economic affairs in antebellum Newberry District. The gabled roof Greek Revival style house was originally three stories; the third floor, however was removed and the roof lowered about 1940, probably for heating reasons. The first floor is stucco over brick and the second level is clapboard. Two monumental Roman Doric columns support a gabled portico, while two smaller square columns support a balcony on the second floor. The front door has sidelights and an elliptical fanlight, as does the door on the second floor. Three outbuildings are located to the rear of the house: a garage, a well house, and a building referred to as the Long House. The Long House, probably built prior to construction of the main house, was used as a kitchen and plantation office. The house was possibly named for John and Henry Coate who laid out Newberry Court House Village in the late 18th century or Marmaduke Coate, surveyor in the antebellum years. Listed in the National Register April 28, 1975.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCoateswood