Newberry College Historic District
Newberry College, established in 1856, has grown from a single structure institution into a modern building complex spread across a sixty-acre campus. While the majority of the college’s buildings date from the 1950s when a program of expansion was undertaken, four of the oldest structures remain. These four buildings - Smeltzer Hall (1877), Keller Hall (1895), Holland Hall (1904), and Derrick Hall (1925) - which significantly represent the college’s development, comprise the Newberry College Historic District. These four brick buildings are typical of late 19th and early 20th century institutional architecture. Smeltzer Hall and Keller Hall are Italianate influenced and Romanesque Revival style buildings, while the later buildings, Holland and Derrick Halls, reflect the Neo-Classical and Colonial Revival styles of the early 20th century. Holland Hall was designed by prominent architect Frank P. Milburn. Located on a landscaped green, the historic district occupies approximately 12 acres. Listed in the National Register June 23, 1976.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterNewberryCollegeHistoricDistrict