Howard Junior High School
(Shiloh School) Howard Junior High School is significant for its role in black education in South Carolina from 1925-1954 and architecturally as a property that embodies distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction popular throughout the South from 1913 to 1932. The school was built on the site of an earlier school constructed by the Shiloh African Methodist Episcopal Church. This one-story, wood frame building was constructed in 1924-25 with matching funds from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. The Fund was created by the chief executive officer of Sears, Roebuck, and Company to improve education for African American children in the South. Rosenwald monies were matched by donations from the local community and tax funds. From 1917 to 1932, the Rosenwald Fund helped construct almost 500 school buildings in South Carolina. The Howard Junior High School, which was built according to plans developed by the Rosenwald Fund, had four classrooms and featured the rows of large windows typical of Rosenwald Schools. It is a wood frame, double-pile, linear building set upon an open brick pier foundation that is covered with a five-V-crimp metal-clad roof. It features exposed rafter tails and gable end knee brackets. In the 1930s, two additional classrooms were added to the south end of the original structure. Listed in the National Register February 3, 2006.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterHowardJuniorHighSchool