Caldwell Street Historic District
The Caldwell Street Historic District is a residential neighborhood reflecting the affluence of Newberry’s financial leaders, whose prosperity coincided with the establishment and growth of the Newberry Cotton Mills. Five of the eight residences in the district were built by contractor C. C. Davis, and are characterized by quality of design and workmanship. A native of North Carolina, Collin Campbell Davis came to Newberry in 1884 to build the Newberry Cotton Mill. Consistent quality of materials, design and construction of a wide range of architectural styles characterized Davis’s work, which included most of the major residential, ecclesiastical and public buildings constructed between 1884 and 1916 in Newberry. The district also includes two churches and a cemetery. The district maintains a harmonious scale and massing, and is unified by the trees and landscaping. Representative styles include Victorian, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival, Gothic Revival, and Neo-Classical. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCaldwellStreetHistoricDistrict