Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District
The Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District exemplifies two distinct types of architecture in Newberry. The district is comprised of a collection of classical and vernacular inspired upper and middle class houses dating from 1857-1898 and a relatively intact late nineteenth century mill village surrounding the ca. 1884 mill. The district is a visual reminder of the importance of the mill to Newberry’s development and the rise of the professional class. Representative architectural styles include Greek Revival, Victorian, Queen Anne, and Bungalow. In addition to the mill and its associated properties (mill village, reservoir, warehouse, superintendent’s house, boarding house, and park) the district also includes commercial, and religious properties. Newberry Cotton Mill was constructed as the first fully steam powered textile factory in South Carolina. The original 1884 brick mill was designed by the renowned Boston engineering firm of Lockwood and Greene. Subsequent additions to the mill occurred in 1895 and 1910. The Newberry Cotton Mill has since been demolished. The mill village includes eighty-one one-story and twenty-six two-story frame mill houses, constructed between 1884 and 1910 by the mill for the factory operatives and their families. The houses were sold by the mill in the 1940s to individual families. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBoundaryStreetCottonMillsHistoricDistrict