(John Elmore House) Constructed ca. 1880 by C.C. “Cam” Davis for John Elmore, this Second Empire residence is a two-story dwelling, originally with a lower façade of weatherboards under a second story shingled mansard. The mansard was recovered with weatherboards when the original shingles required replacement because of deterioration. Other intact Victorian elements of the house are a front and right side wraparound porch having a lattice frieze, turned posts and balustrade. A pedimented projecting entranceway extends from the porch. The house is the only example of the Second Empire style of architecture appearing in the city locality. The high quality of the interior woodwork is typical of “Cam” Davis’s work in Newberry. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCousinsHouse