George Mower House
Built in 1893 by “Cam” Davis for George S. Mower, this Queen Anne dwelling is an ornamented two-story weatherboarded residence with prominent polygonal end turrets. A pedimented dormer with three-over-one windows breaks the front slope of the sheet metal shingled roof. Polygonal turrets pierce a lower story wraparound porch and frame a second story balcony porch. Both porches are detailed with projecting center pediments, trued balustrades and Doric colonettes above paneled wood pedestals. The left turret, level with the roof, features an applied garland frieze and balustrade crest. The right turret, under a metal shingled tent roof, features imbricated shingles covering a third floor, above the weatherboarded lower two floors. A uniquely molded chimney stack extends from one turret wall and penetrates the turret roof. The varied textures comprising the ornamentation of this large asymmetrical residence qualify it as the city’s only authentic Queen Anne specimen. Constructed at a cost of $10,000, the house was built as the residence of George Mower, prominent Newberry attorney, director of Newberry Cotton Mills, and member of the South Carolina House of Representatives (1888-1890, 1910-16) and the South Carolina Senate (1893-1904). Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterGeorgeMower