(The 1892 House) The Hatton House, ca. 1892, is an excellent example of a late nineteenth century, South Carolina upcountry house in a Folk Victorian or vernacular late Italianate style. Though the gabled-ell cottage is a prominent type in this rural area, the Hatton House is larger, has particularly ornate millwork, and was the first house in the Pomaria area to be electrified. The construction of the house represents the blending of local carpentry tradition, mass produced millwork, and modern technology. The house was designed and constructed by local contractor Calvin Cannon. The brackets and much of the other exterior decorative trim was crafted by G.B. Aull, a local master carpenter. Two other buildings on the property are contributing resources: the Delco House, a ca. 1892 building that housed equipment to electrify the house; and a ca. 1875 cabin, known as “Uncle Tobias’s Cabin,” which was a tenant house on the property. Listed in the National Register October 1, 1990.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterHattonHouse