Main Street Historic District
The Main Street Historic District is significant as a relatively unchanged upper-class neighborhood, containing stylistic elements that reflect over a century of agricultural, residential, and mercantile development in Newberry. Residences span the period between 1840 and 1950, with few modern commercial intrusions. The work of South Carolina architect Frank P. Milburn is represented in the Newberry A.R.P. Church. The work of Newberry contractor C. C. (“Cam”) Davis is represented in the Newberry A.R.P. Church, the Aull House, the Floyd house, and in four other buildings. The district includes significant examples of Greek Revival, Italianate, Gothic Revival, Eastlake, Colonial Revival, Victorian, and Neo-Classical buildings. While a diversity of architectural styles appear, there is an unusual homogeneity of proportion and texture present in this richly eclectic ensemble, particularly in the predominance of large weatherboarded, two-story dwellings of asymmetrical form typical of the Victorian period. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterMainStreetHistoricDistrict