Newberry County Memorial Hospital
The Newberry County Memorial Hospital, the main building for which was constructed in 1924-25 according to plans by prominent Greenwood, South Carolina architect James Calvin Hemphill, is significant for the role it played in the history of health care and medical treatment in Newberry County during much of the twentieth century. With its ca. 1949 additions, the adjacent ca. 1937/ca. 1949 former Nurse’s Home, and ancillary ca. 1925/ca. 1949 Laundry/Boiler Plant and ca. 1950 storage buildings, the Newberry County Memorial Hospital complex is also significant as an excellent and largely intact example of the work of Hemphill (1889-1970), one of that area of the state’s most successful and influential architects. Constructed by W.T. Livingstone of Newberry, the main red brick hospital was designed in the Colonial Revival style. Prior to opening the hospital in 1925, those who needed surgery or treatment for a serious illness had to travel to Columbia or Charleston. The Newberry County Memorial Hospital occupied the building from 1925 until 1973, vacating the original hospital building for a new, more technologically advanced facility. Listed in the National Register April 21, 2004.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterNewberryCountyMemorialHospital