Summer Brothers Store
The Summer Brothers Stores represent a significant survival of a late Victorian commercial range, distinguished by the quality of the brick construction. The unity of the range is established not only by the brick arcade, but also by the corbeled brick cornice, which extends across the length of the range. Built in 1898, this row of four one-story brick commercial buildings has party walls and a repetitive arcaded façade consisting of three bays apiece for the three stories to the right of the left end store. The latter element of this continuous row exhibits two arcaded bays enframing angled display windows, which lead to a central doorway. The other three stores each have central double doors flanked by display windows of large four-pane sash with all three bays having identical proportions under the connecting arches. Above the arches are small circular ventilator grilles, which are surmounted by a full width decorative corbel course. The row was built by Charles, George, and J.H. Summer. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateNewberry County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSummerBrothersStore