(Callaham’s Mill; Stone’s Mill; Park’s Mill) Resting on brick supports, this two-story pine frame building reflects its functional character and late nineteenth century construction date (ca. 1890). The mill building is an unpretentious structure, making frank use of rough-hewn pine materials. Years of functional operation are recalled by the interior floor planks, wall beams, and mill stone housing, all of which are original. The character of Price’s Mill is reaffirmed through subsidiary buildings, penstock and grain bin, and through the surrounding landscape, especially the mill pond and white water flowing over the dam. The role of the miller was an essential element in the economy of the nineteenth century rural South. The mill is a valuable example of a working relationship between processes of the nineteenth and twentieth century. Advantageous use of electricity has been introduced without altering the traditional process; actual milling operation is run entirely by energy from the white water of Stevens Creek. Tons of white water flows over a concrete dam, built in 1913, and replacing an original rock and mortar dam dating back to the early 1800’s. Through the use of water power and the grinding action of two heavy mill stones, Price’s Mill remains a physical document of methods which first produced the staple of a growing nation. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1972.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateMcCormick County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterPrice'sMill