M.L.B Sturkey House
The M.L.B. Sturkey House is a frame cottage with Queen Anne detailing built ca. 1895. The house is a gable front and wing form or ell plan with a rear addition. The house is one-story in height with weatherboard siding. On the main and north facades is a porch with chamfered porch posts and a spindled railing. Beneath the gables of the house is diagonal bracing and drop pendants. The house has a composition shingle gable roof with two corbelled brick interior chimneys. The house was built by M.L.B. Sturkey, one of McCormick’s most prominent early residents. Sturkey moved to McCormick in the 1880s and opened a hardware and dry goods store on Main Street. Sturkey was one of the main proponents in the formation of McCormick County. In 1895 he served on the committee which petitioned the Constitutional Convention to create McCormick County and continued to lead the fight for the formation of the county until 1916. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateMcCormick County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterMLBSturkeyHouse