Calhoun Gilbert House
The Calhoun Gilbert House is an excellent example of the evolution of a residence from a mid-nineteenth century one-story house featuring elements of the Greek Revival style to an early twentieth century two-story house featuring elements of the Classical Revival style. The house was built ca. 1856 for Edward Calhoun and was originally a one-story raised cottage featuring a first floor and attic over an above-ground brick basement. It was designed by architect William Jones of Atlanta. The house is a weatherboard-clad frame residence featuring a full-width one-story hip roofed porch that is intersected at center by a projecting pedimented portico. Attached to the rear is a full-width, hip-roofed wing which features decorative metal shingles and engaged porches. The house is also associated with Edward Calhoun (1809-1862), his son Edwin Calhoun (1839-1917), and Albert Gibert (1859-1938), prominent Abbeville District and McCormick County planters and businessmen. Calhoun’s son Edwin, who served in the Confederate States Army inherited the property after his father’s death and farmed here after his return. Albert Gibert purchased the house ca. 1908 and soon enlarged it to two stories, adding four bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, a back hall and stair, and two side porches. Outbuildings contributing to the character of the property include a frame garage, a two-story frame cattle barn, and a board-and-batten smokehouse, hay barn, and potato barn. Listed in the National Register March 12, 1996.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateMcCormick County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCalhounGilbertHouse