McCormick Train Station
(Charleston & Western Carolina Railway Depot) The McCormick Train Station is a one-story frame building built ca. 1911. The building is a long rectangular building located between Main Street and the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad line. The building has a gable roof with wide eaves supported by brackets. The building has shiplap siding, original six-over-six sash windows, and the original frame and glass doors. On the west façade is a bay window which served as the ticket booth during the building’s operation. The station was built by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad. The present station appears to be the third constructed on this site. The first station was built by the Greenwood and Augusta Railroad in 1882 with the assistance of Cyrus McCormick. The first building was a frame building and stood until ca. 1900. A second station was then constructed by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad and stood until ca. 1910. The building is a good example of vernacular stations constructed in the state in the early 20th century and illustrates the significance of the railroad in McCormick’s development. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateMcCormick County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterTrainStation