Appin was reputedly constructed ca. 1870 for William Sylvester Mowry. The two-story frame central hall farmhouse with modest Victorian ornamentation is significant for its association with its second owner, Charles Spencer McCall, a prominent Marlboro County merchant and local politician. McCall purchased the plantation ca. 1875 and renamed Appin for his ancestral home in Scotland. McCall served with the South Carolina Volunteers and the Hampton Legion in the Civil War from 1862 until the surrender at Appomattox. He returned to Bennettsville to work and soon rose from a lowly clerk to owner of his own establishment. McCall was the vice-president of the Bank of Marlboro in Bennettsville, the president of the Marlboro Cotton Oil Company, and a successful farmer. In addition to his commercial accomplishments, McCall was a member of the Democratic State Executive Committee from 1880-88 and was a delegate to the National Convention in 1880. He was a member of the South Carolina Senate from 1877-1890 and from 1902-1904 and served as mayor of Bennettsville from 1889-1901. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982; Boundary increase October 3, 2007.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsMarlboro County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAppin