A.H. Buchan Company Building
The A.H. Buchan Company Building, believed to have been constructed between 1924 and 1930 for the W.A. Gray Tobacco Company, is important for its role in the processing of tobacco in Mullins. In 1933 the building was purchased by the A.H. Buchan Tobacco Company. The A.H. Buchan Company had been founded in 1920 for the purpose of buying, drying and exporting tobacco. The company operated in this building until 1964. The two-story, brick (common bond) building features a stepped parapet on the façade. Most windows have a twelve-paned metal sash, which are hinged. The windows on the first story of the façade have six-over-six wood sash. The building was used as a tobacco redrying plant. The redrying plant’s main purpose was to insure that the tobacco contained a uniform amount of moisture so that it would not rot or become too dry and brittle. Tobacco has played a major role in the development of Marion and Dillon Counties in general and the town of Mullins in particular. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastMarion County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBuchanCompanyBuilding