Bishopville Commercial Historic District
The Bishopville Commercial Historic District contains forty-eight contributing buildings which represent the historic commercial center of the community. All of the buildings are of brick construction with most constructed between 1890 and 1920. The buildings are all one to two stories in height and are vernacular commercial designs of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. All of the buildings are used for commercial purposes such as stores, restaurants, offices and banks. Two important buildings, the Seaboard Coastline Depot and the Palmetto Oil Mill, are located adjacent to Main Street and are included in the district. The period of building reflects Bishopville’s period of prosperity and growth as a cotton shipping and trading center and as a county seat. By 1920 all of downtown was composed of substantial one to two-story brick buildings with detailing typical of the period. With the decline in the cotton industry after 1920, construction in the area came to a halt. Few changes have since occurred in the district. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsLee County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBishopvilleCommercialHistoricDistrict