The Nickels-Milam house was constructed ca. 1828 by Dr. John Nickels, a prominent and wealthy figure in the Lisbon community. Nickels’ wealth is documented by an 1850 inventory and appraisal of his estate that included 2,425 acres of land and 78 slaves. The family of Dr. Nickels was instrumental in the founding of Lisbon Presbyterian Church. The three-story frame house exemplifies the type of structure built by wealthy farmers in the upcountry of South Carolina during the early nineteenth century. The house remained in the possession of Dr. Nickels’ descendants until ca. 1920 when it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Milam. Mr. Milam represented the Laurens County government in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1937 until 1956. Although its exterior shows characteristics of Greek Revival architecture, the Nickels-Milam House is especially noteworthy for its interior, which is basically unaltered. The original moldings, paneled doors, and mantels remain in good condition, as does the wide-board flooring and much of the original hardware. Included in the nominated acreage are several barns and the family cemetery that is located directly across the street from the house. A cedar-lined driveway leads to the cemetery. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterNickelsMalemHouse