John Calvin Owings House
Built ca. 1896, the John Calvin Owings House is one of the most outstanding examples of Queen Anne architecture remaining in the city of Laurens. Owings, the builder of the house, played a prominent role in the political and economic activities of the city. Owings and his partner Charles B. Bobo established the mercantile firm of Owings & Bobo, and later, Owings served as a member and director of the Chamber of Commerce. Owings also served as Mayor of Laurens from 1916-1918. About 1895, Mr. Owings had George F. Barber & Co., architects from Knoxville, Tennessee design a house to be built on West Main Street in Laurens. The two and one-half story house blends exterior surface materials (clapboard and shingle siding), high multiple roofs, turrets, oriels, cresting, turned spindles, and rambling porches. The projecting front gable includes a second-story portico with a horseshoe arch and spindle decoration. The steep, slate, hipped roof features cresting and finials. Significant in the interior of the home is the oak paneling, staircase, mantelpieces, and latticework. There are twelve individual fireplaces in the house, many of which feature glazed tile and mirrored overmantels. There are four outbuildings included within the nominated acreage. All are in fair condition and appear to be contemporary with the house. Listed in the National Register February 12, 1978.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterJohnCalvinOwingsHome