Allen Dial House
(The Valley; Cedar Valley Farm) The Allen Dial House, built ca. 1855 by Allen Dial, is the best example of mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival raised cottage architecture in Laurens County. It is a vernacular interpretation of the Greek Revival style, translating the design to suit the upcountry climate, building materials, and methods. The house is built on a high stuccoed masonry foundation, which forms the basement story. The rectangular one and one-half story house is sheathed in narrow width weatherboard with flush board under the front and rear porticos. The façade has as its central feature a pedimented portico supported by four paired and fluted pillars. The portico tympanum has a fanlight style lunette. The door surround is composed of a pilastered ornamental architrave with decorative corner blocks and features an unusual grid designed glass and molding transom and sidelights. The home has a metal-covered gable roof and has a landscaped garden. The formally landscaped boxwood garden is further refinement of the Greek Revival style. A rectangular one-story outbuilding, originally a kitchen, stands about six feet to the west of the house. Additionally, one outbuilding, a log structure reputedly contemporary with the house, stands at the southwest side of the house. Allen Dial (1811-1894) was a successful farmer, a self-taught doctor, and a leader in Chestnut Ridge Baptist Church. Listed in the National Register January 21, 1982.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAllenDialHouse