(Crisp House) The Wilson-Clary House, built ca. 1892, is a vernacular Victorian residence that utilizes some elements of the Eastlake style. Exterior ornamentation on this house in more restrained than on homes typically utilizing Eastlake elements (such as Laurens’ Dr. W.C. Irby House and the Lyde Irby Darlington House). Notable exterior features include a tent roof gazebo, pedimented window surrounds, attic vents with scalloped louvers, and sawn brackets. The house was built for J.J. Wilson, Jr. and Toccoa Irby Wilson on a lot acquired from Mrs. Wilson’s brother, Dr. W.C. Irby. The two-story frame residence is sheathed in weatherboarding. Two brick corbelled chimneys pierce the cross-gable roof, which has a boxed cornice with returns and sawn brackets. A single-story wraparound porch extends across a portion of the façade and a portion of the north elevation. A tent roof gazebo is attached at its vertex. The main entrance is centered and has double doors and a transom. The interior is distinguished by the ceiling medallions and cornice, a marble mantel, and an elaborate staircase. The house is located on a large lot in a residential neighborhood. Listed in the National Register December 11, 1986.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterWilsonClaryHouse