Albright Dukes House
The Albright-Dukes House was built ca. 1904 as a residence for Dr. George C. Albright, a Laurens dentist. Dr. Albright purchased three adjoining lots from the Irby family at an auction in February 1904 and is believed to have had the house constructed shortly thereafter. The house is significant to Laurens as the city’s best example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style of architecture. Few houses of this style were constructed in the Upper Savannah region of South Carolina during the early twentieth century, and even fewer retain their architectural integrity. Notable features include its cross-gambrel roof; the shingled gambrel ends with Palladian windows; unusual fenestration, including stained glass, leaded glass, and lattice-paned windows; pedimented dormers; corner guards on the interior plaster walls; large, airy rooms; and an impressive foyer/stairhall. The house is sheathed in weatherboarding on the first story, with wood shingles in the gables. A single-story porch, supported by Tuscan columns with a simple balustrade, extends across the façade and portions of the side elevations. The Albright-Dukes House has had few alterations and retains integrity from the time of its construction. One outbuilding, a frame garage built ca. 1930, is included in the nominated acreage. Listed in the National Register November 18, 1986.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAlbrightDukesHouse