Dr. William Claudius Irby House
Built ca. 1890, the Dr. William Claudius Irby House is significant as an excellent example of a residence featuring the influence of the Eastlake style of architecture. The home is a two-story, frame residence sheathed in weatherboarding with a cross-gable roof. Distinctive features on the exterior include the two-tiered porch on the façade, single-story porches on the side elevations, and pedimented window and door surrounds. The elaborate ornamentation includes turned posts and balustrades, turned frieze with perforated panels, perforated bargeboards, perforated brackets with pendants, and sawn appliques over the windows. The main entrance has a single door, sidelights, and transom. A two-story addition has been made to the rear of the house. Several fireplaces on the interior have ornate, Eastlake style mantels with beveled mirrors and glazed-tile surrounds and hearths. Dr. Irby (1848-1916) was a physician who practiced in Clinton, South Carolina, for a number of years before moving to Laurens; in his later years he devoted much time to his extensive farming interests. To the rear of the house is a fieldstone outbuilding. The house is located on a large lot in a quiet, residential neighborhood in the city of Laurens. It has had few alterations and retains integrity from the time of its construction. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1986.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterWilliamClaudiusIrby