The Irby-Henderson-Todd House was built ca. 1838 and was enlarged in both 1855 and 1880. Built in three stages by three different owners, the house is significant for its visual depiction of the evolution of architecture in the area – the home’s architectural features of the preceding periods were not concealed when later additions and alterations were made. The house is also significant for its association with Irby, Henderson, and Todd, locally prominent lawyers who were active in state politics and government. The house displays an architectural evolution from an antebellum farmhouse to a Classical Revival mansion with Victorian details added later. The original portion of the two-story, frame Classical Revival style house is believed to have been built by James H. Irby ca. 1838. It was greatly enlarged, evidently by William B. Henderson ca. 1855 and further additions are believed to have been made by Rutherford P. Todd ca. 1880. The ca. 1855 Classical Revival section indicates the desire of the owner to have a more pretentious home. Distinctive features include the two-story pedimented portico, fine window and door surrounds, carved mantels, and wide crown moldings. The ca. 1880 addition of a single-story front porch and an elegant main staircase both have similar Victorian period balustrades. The Irby-Henderson-Todd House sits on a large tree-shaded lot that includes one historic outbuilding: a nineteenth century well house (smokehouse). Listed in the National Register September 8, 1983.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterIrbyHendersonToddHouse