South Harper Historic District
The South Harper Street Historic District is significant architecturally as a collection of early twentieth century vernacular residences. In addition, several of its residents distinguished themselves in the fields of commerce, industry, and politics/government. Construction dates for the houses range from the early nineteenth century to ca. 1935, with almost half having been built during the first decade of the twentieth century. The district is composed of forty-four resources – forty-two of which are residences. The district contains two antebellum residences, both of which were renovated in the early twentieth century; forty residences constructed during the period ca. 1880-1935; and two undeveloped lots. Architectural styles include Neo-Classical, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and Bungalow. Large shade trees, terraced lawns, and distinctive retaining walls characterize South Harper Street. Several government figures have lived in the South Harper Street Historic District, including former Governor Robert Cooper, and state legislators Homer Blackwell, W.R. Richey, Jr., Clarence M. Babb, and James H. Sullivan. This historic district provides tangible evidence of the prosperity that Laurens experienced at the turn of the century. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1986.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateLaurens County Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterSouthHarperHistoricDistrict