Built circa 1840, the Cureton House is significant as an example of an intact rural upcountry vernacular Greek Revival residence and as evidence of the use of popular nineteenth century architectural pattern books in rural America. The house is a two-story, L-shaped, frame residence with clapboard siding, composition shingle cross-gable roof and a brick pier foundation. The house has a central hall plan and two rooms in the rear ell. Though the majority of the interior finishes are plain, the six mantels are either exact copies or adaptations of designs from Asher Benjamin’s The Architect, or Practical House Carpenter (1830). Built by either Jeremiah Cureton or his son William Jackson Cureton, the property was used primarily for cotton production, however both men also produced small amounts of wheat, Indian corn, and oats. The house remained in the hands of the Cureton family until 1918 when Henry D. Smith acquired it. The circa 1918 cotton storage shed, circa 1930 barn, and circa 1930 garage date from Smith’s ownership of the farm and are significant as intact examples of agricultural and outbuildings in Lancaster County from the period, illustrating the continuous occupation of the property over time. The cotton storage shed is also significant for its association with cotton production in Lancaster County after about 1920, when most area farmers began to diversify and ended their long reliance on cotton as their major product. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1990.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsLancaster County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCuretonHouse