Old Greenwood Cemetery
Established ca. 1860 by the Main Street Methodist Church, the Old Greenwood Cemetery is a mid-nineteenth to late-twentieth century cemetery. It was the first cemetery in Greenwood until the Magnolia Cemetery was laid out in 1871. Located at the original site of the church, the cemetery covers a one-and-one-half acre tract that contains approximately three hundred and fifty graves. The cemetery reflects typical burial customs and gravestone art during its period of significance and contains the graves of many of Greenwood’s prominent citizens. The cemetery is laid out in a regular grid plan with little discernible landscaping or other planned features other than a few trees shading family plots. The church maintained the cemetery until 1906 when it was deeded to the Greenwood Cemetery Association. In 2001, the property was deeded to the Greenwood Historical Society. Some descendants of those buried in the cemetery have worked to maintain it in more recent years. Among the prominent local figures buried here are: Alfred P. Aldrich, Jr., James A. Bailey, R.S. Cobb, Thomas Jones, Arthur St. Clair Lee, Julia Lee, J.T. McKellar, Thomas Franklin Riley, and Cadmus Garlington Waller. Listed in the National Register March 1, 2002.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic CemeterySouth Carolina National Historic RegisterOldGreenwoodCemetery