The Barratt House is significant for its association with Dr. John Perkins Barratt, a prominent South Carolina scientist who designed and supervised the construction of the house as a gift for his son John Joseph Gall “Jack” Barratt. The two-story, stuccoed brick house with a roof of standing seam metal was built ca. 1853-56 and is significant for its Gothic Revival architectural elements. In addition, the house is distinctive for its elaborate woodcarvings, which were executed by Barratt, an amateur sculptor and artist. Barratt also painted murals on each plaster wall of the ornately decorated parlor, and painted scenes on the hand-carved mantels in each room of the house. Wings were constructed at the north and south ends in 1957 and 1969, respectively. Five extant outbuildings, including a hewn log structure believed to have been constructed as a schoolhouse for Barratt’s children in 1830, a gear house, corncrib, granary, and smokehouse are also on the site. The Barratt House is landscaped by ornamental plantings including boxwoods, cedars, oaks, and magnolias. The cedar-lined driveway is a remnant of the antebellum roadbed long since abandoned. Listed in the National Register September 12, 1985.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBarrattHouse