Fountain Inn Principal’s House and Teacherage
The Fountain Inn Principal’s House and Teacherage, built in 1935, is significant for its historical association with the Fountain Inn Negro School and African-American history in Fountain Inn. The house is the only remaining building that is historically associated with the Fountain Inn Negro School complex, comprised of the grade school built in 1928, a high school built in 1930, a library, and the Clayton “Peg Leg” Bates Gymnasium, built in 1942. The school and its appurtenant buildings served the educational needs of the Fountain Inn’s African American community until the students of this community were enrolled in Fountain Inn High School in the 1960s. The teacherage was constructed originally as a home for teachers that provided educational instruction for African Americans in Fountain Inn, and by the 1940s housed teachers and the principal and his family. Its separate entrance at the building’s southwest corner accessed the kitchen and accommodated home economics classes. These buildings were designed to offer comfortable domestic amenities like front corner porches and modern indoor bathrooms, but they were also meant to serve as instructional facilities. The house is nearly identical to Plan No. 301 (“Teachers Home for Community Schools”) for teacherages supported by the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Although this house was constructed after the end of the Rosenwald Fund school program, its design is consistent with plans frequently used for Rosenwald schools and related buildings. Listed in the National Register June 27, 2011.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterFountainInnPrincipal'sHouseTeacherage