The significance of the Burdette Building, constructed ca. 1921, is found primarily in its role in the commercial development of Simpsonville and also is inextricably tied to its creator and Simpsonville’s most successful entrepreneur of the first half of the twentieth century, B.W. Burdette. The Burdette Building is also significant as an uniquely fashioned example of the vernacular commercial style. Additionally, it is one of two examples of this style existing in Simpsonville and fully retains its historic appearance. It is a nearly rectangular two-story structure laid with smooth-faced yellow brick in running bond. Distinctive exterior treatments include a crenellated roofline with a series of alternate indents along the north side, a lone unmatched semi-circular indent on the west roofline, molded terra cotta cornice, engraved tablet, decorative brick pilasters, and undersized windows flanking standard windows in each second story bay on the north. The interior features include the original wooden and steel elevator, original staircases, and pressed tin ceilings. There is a one-story structure adjacent to the building that is the surviving portion of a two-story brick building that predates the Burdette Building. With its varied occupants the building has served as anchor for the core downtown of Simpsonville for over 75 years. Listed in the National Register July 17, 2003. Boundary Decrease August 2, 2007.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterBurdetteBuilding