Reedy River Industrial Complex
The Reedy River Industrial Complex is the only area in downtown Greenville which has maintained its historic and architectural character as a nineteenth and early twentieth century industrial and commercial district. Featuring six industrial or commercial structures constructed between 1850 and 1914, the Reedy River Industrial Complex represents Greenville’s transition from a nineteenth century summer resort and agricultural village into a leading international textile center. Visually connected by the Reedy River, these structures were historically developed as portions of a related industrial complex which served the Greenville Coach - Markley Carriage Factory and the Huguenot Mill. The contributing resources include: the Greenville Coach Factory Blacksmith Shop (ca. 1850); the Markley Carriage Factory Paint Shop (prior to 1915); the Markley Hardware Store (between 1905 and 1914); the Huguenot Mill (1882); the Huguenot Mill Office (ca. 1890-1900); and the Cotton Warehouse (between 1908-1913). Listed in the National Register January 14, 1979.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterReedyRiverDowntownIndustrialArea