William Bates House
The William Bates House, a ca. 1835 vernacular structure, is primarily significant for its associative value as the home of textile pioneer William Bates. Bates was a leader in the development of the textile industry which spurred the growth of the Piedmont section of South Carolina. He has been referred to as “one of the most successful textile manufacturers in the state.” The house which Bates probably built circa 1835 is believed to be the sole remaining structure associated with the textile pioneer. William Bates arrived in South Carolina from Rhode Island in 1819. For the next several years he worked for various textile mills in the Piedmont area of South Carolina, as well as in North Carolina. In 1833 he purchased 300 acres located on Rocky Creek in Greenville County. Here he established the mill and community which became known as “Batesville.” According to tradition, in 1881 the old mill burned and was replaced by a brick structure. Built upon granite and fieldstone piers, the house is a two-story vernacular structure covered with clapboard siding and a tin gabled roof. Both the front and rear facades feature one-story shed-roofed porches extending the length of these facades. Both porches are supported by nine simple wooden columns. The nominated acreage includes a barn and a spring. Listed in the National Register December 4, 1978.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterWilliamBatesHouse