Hugh Aiken House
The Hugh Aiken House possesses architectural significance as one of William “Willie” Riddle Ward’s most distinctive single-family residential designs. The house is a one and one-half story frame residence constructed in 1952. It was designed in 1948 by Ward, a notable Greenville architect, for Hugh K. Aiken, president and treasurer of Piedmont Paint and Manufacturing Company. The distinctive loggia and angled footprint of the Aiken residence were features that Ward was especially proud of with this design. The house was constructed in the Colonial Revival style on an extensively landscaped lot adjacent to the North Main Street area of Greenville. Ward’s design approach emphasized compatibility with the configuration of the lot and its heavily wooded, natural setting and falling topography. The focal point of the lot is a small pond fed by natural springs. The home’s foundation is stone, complementing the flagstone steps and front porch floor and the retaining walls of the landscaping. The central section consists of a formal entrance hall, living room, den, and loggia. The loggia connects to adjacent rear halls flanking the loggia and provides access to the other areas of the house comprised of the bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, breakfast room and children’s activity room (formerly the garage). A large, tapered stone chimney dominates the front elevation of the house and a second tapered, stone chimney accents the south elevation of the house. Listed in the National Register April 11, 2003.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterHughAiken