Fountain Inn High School
Fountain Inn High School, constructed in 1939, is significant as an excellent example of New Deal-era Moderne design undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA) program of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, and as one of the notable designs of the Greenville, South Carolina firm of Beacham and LeGrand. The two-story and basement asymmetrical L-shaped building consists of an original auditorium as well as an original two-story classroom wing. The exterior walls are brick on concrete footings bearing the load. A monumental portico of large monolithic concrete pilasters and a simplified cornice highlights the off center entrance. Each main vertical break in the brick exterior wall is projected from the plain accented with concrete markers. The 800-seat auditorium features tall windows, period style lighting, and patterned panels. In 1960 the school complex was expanded to include two additional buildings that housed classrooms and a new cafeteria. Fountain Inn High School became Fountain Inn Elementary School when a new high school was built in 1957, and served as such until a new school was built in 1997. Listed in the National Register June 3, 2009.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterFountainInnHighSchool