The Hopkins Farm is significant as an intact example of a late nineteenth and early twentieth century agricultural complex in the upcountry region of South Carolina. The extant historic resources on the property are associated with the Hopkins Farm from circa 1840 to the time of nomination. The property’s history prior to the arrival of the Hopkins family, however, is also noteworthy. Physical evidence exists on the property of earlier Native American occupation. The property has also served as a backdrop for a Revolutionary War battle and a training ground for the state militia. The Hopkins Farm complex includes the Main House, the Cook’s House, eleven outbuildings, agricultural fields, a historic Pecan Grove, and a family cemetery. Six of these buildings and structures are noncontributing. The following buildings and structures contribute to the significance of the complex: the Main House (ca. 1840 and additions ca. 1890 and ca 1925), Smoke House (ca. 1850), Small Chicken House (ca. 1922), Cotton Warehouse (1924), Mechanical Shed (ca. 1946, altered 1998), Large Chicken House (ca. 1946), two Grain Silos (ca. 1950), Patriots’ Grove (ca.1875), and the Hopkins Family Cemetery. Listed in the National Register September 20, 2007.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterHopkinsFarms