T.Q. Donaldson House
(Dr. Davis Furman House) The T.Q. Donaldson House is thought to have been built as a private residence by William Williams, ca. 1863. The house is significant both for its association with prominent residents of Greenville and as a vernacular interpretation of the Italianate style. In addition, it is one of the few Greenville homes of this period that remains in near original condition. The house as originally built was a one-and-one-half story cottage. However, soon after its construction, a second story was added. Presently, the house is basically symmetrical and is comprised of a two-story rectangular block with a single story wing attached to the west elevation and single story ells attached to east and west ends of the south elevation. Set on a combination of brick piers and walls that create a partially solid basement, the frame building sheathed with weatherboard features a low hip roof with a center front gable, boxed cornice, bracketed eaves, second-story window heads, a stair hall with an elliptical arch, and original woodwork. Thomas Q. Donaldson was a prominent lawyer and member of the South Carolina Senate from Greenville County from 1872 to 1876. He was influential in promoting the financial progress of Greenville County after the Civil War. The nominated property also includes a three-room frame, weatherboard outbuilding believed to have been constructed ca. 1863 for use as a kitchen and servant’s quarters. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1980.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterDonaldsonHouse