(Holly Hill; Ivy Lawn) The Williams-Earle House, a ca. 1850 Greek Revival dwelling, is primarily significant for its architectural elements and integrity of location. This two-story, T-shape frame building with weatherboard siding is believed to have been completed ca. 1850, while the rear portion of the house was begun ca. 1820. The façade is dominated by a monumental portico with pillars and a plain entablature. The central doorway has multi-light sidelights, corner lights and transom. The portico is flanked by two tripartite windows on each story with nine-over-nine lights. The interior features a narrow, open string staircase with simple round balusters and newel posts. Dr. Thomas Williams, who is believed to have constructed the house, moved to Greenville as a child and eventually became a prominent Greenville physician and landowner and at one point served the Greenville District in the state legislature. Dr. Williams called his plantation on Brushy Creek “Ivy Lawn.” In 1880, Richard Harrison Earle, a farmer, landowner and grandson of Col. Elias Earle, a founder of Greenville, acquired the property. The nominated property also contains numerous historic outbuildings. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterWilliamEarleHouse