R. Perry Turner House
The R. Perry Turner House, built in 1937, is significant as an excellent example of a Classical Revival residence of the period; as an important residential design by prominent Greenville architect William Riddle Ward (1890-1984); and also for its association with Richard Perry Turner (1880-1959), one of Greer’s most prominent twentieth century businessmen. Ward was commissioned to design this house as a result of his 1935 design for Perry Turner’s younger brother Robert Gibbs Turner. Approaching 10,000 square feet, the residence rests upon a poured concrete foundation. The house is divided into six masses: a dominant lateral gable block, two single story side porches, a two-story front gabled entry portico, a two-story gabled rear ell or wing, and a one-story flat-roofed with parapet extension at the center rear. The roof, clad in the original slate tiles, is pierced by gabled dormers on the front and rear. The house features a full-height entry portico, balustrade-capped side porches, a boxed, block-modillioned cornice with returns, and a cantilevered curving staircase. Ward also designed a brick garage, brick stable/barn and an octagonal brick summer house for the Turners’ backyard. Listed in the National Register February 1, 1999.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterPerryTurnerHouse