The Pettigru Street Historic District is significant for its wide range of architectural styles, which mirrors the growth of Greenville between 1890 and 1930. The district is located to the east of downtown and contains seventy-one contributing properties. The district was also the home of many prominent businessmen and mill owners. The majority of the buildings were built between 1910 and 1930 and are of frame and brick construction. They were mostly constructed in the Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Craftsman, and Bungalow styles. Although there has been some commercial encroachment, most of the area remains a residential neighborhood. Many of the streets are tree-lined, and the buildings have common setbacks. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.