Fountain Fox Beattie House
(Greenville Woman’s Club) The Fountain Fox Beattie House, built by Fountain Fox Beattie ca. 1834, is significant for its architecture. This large Italianate dwelling was originally a much smaller, rather plain residence. It was the center of social, cultural, and religious life of early Greenville. The house was occupied by Beattie descendents until 1940. Now used as the Greenville Woman’s Club, it is the third oldest structure remaining in Greenville. A specific date for the home’s appearance is uncertain, although the style is that of the Italianate or Tuscan villa mode popularized by Alexander Jackson Davis prior to the Civil War. Davis’s designs were widely published and perhaps provided the inspiration for the Italianate detail on the structure. The two-storied central portion of the house has one-story flanking wings to either side. The one-story central piazza is supported by six pairs of square columns with one pilaster at each return. The freestanding columns are arranged to form three major and two minor semi-circular arches across the front with a major arch to either outer end. The balustraded piazza has a denticulated cornice with modillions and paired consoles corresponding to the columns below. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterFountainFoxBeattieHouse